citadelpaintsIt’s geek time, yep that time where I need to bore most of you to death with some sort of very geeky blog that most people will look at and think, “Oh my god, he is a grown man for crying out loud, why is he playing with toys?”

Well everyone needs a hobby and I won’t disappoint, this blog is all about model kits and my latest discovery of Citadel paints from Games Workshop.

As you may have picked up from a couple of my other blogs, I was bought some Warhammer model kits for our 1st Anniversary.  These kits seem a lot better than kits from the likes of Revell and Mobeius so I wanted to get the best out of the painting but also make the vehicles look used and not factory fresh!

A very helpful guy in the Warhammer shop in Cardiff had a conversation with me about their paints, now I’ve been using Humbrol Enamel paints as this was what I grew up with but in recent years I’ve found they have become very hit or miss.  I decided to give these acrylic based paints a try and see what I could come up with.

I wasn’t disappointed!

For my testing I decided to buy a 1/35th scale Tamiya Panzer kit, build it up and see what I could come up with.

First was pretty simple, build and spray – For this I used a can of Humbrol Acrylic matt green.


Nice coverage and even finish which gave me a good base for experimenting.

First was an Nuln Oil wash to see what effect that gave.


Just the wash itself changed it massively, it brought out detailing and gave it a dirty, used look – just they type of thing I was going for.

Next was Typhus Corrosion and Ryza Rust – I was skeptical at first with the Ryza Rust as it was so bright in the bottle, but my fears of a day-glow orange tank soon disappeared when I saw how it went on and what the effects were.


The bright orange became very toned and when layered with the Typhus Corrosion gives an amazingly realistic rust effect.

Not entirely satisfied I went looking for inspiration and saw that adding simple silver highlights gave another dimension to the model.


Silver on the edges of the body, on some of the areas with Typhus Corrosion and Ryza Rust and a couple of places dabbed to make it look worn and scratched.

And the finished (well nearly) model – I’m going to buy some more paints at some point and see if I can add some scorch and ricochet marks.